Monday, July 12, 2010

My Dad

I have been feeling a little sentimental today and for the past couple of days. Today would have been my dad's 71st birthday. It has been 16 years since he past away. I have great memories of my dad, and he would do almost anything for me. I have been thinking a lot about him lately, and one reason is that I keep seeing a truck around town that is just like the one he drove - a dark grey Dodge ram pickup. It is not a uncommon truck, but to see it in that color just brought up those memories of him driving it. It was a fun truck to drive - it had standard transmission, it was loud, and it had a dent in the bed from where a tree fell on it.

My dad was a union journeyman wireman for most of my life except for those occasions when jobs where tough to come by, and he would find some non-union jobs locally. Those jobs led him across the south and we would often visit him when he was off working those locations. His jobs have led him to Dallas, TX; New Orleans to work on the World's Fair (why do we not have those in USA anymore?); Illinois; Popular Bluff, AR; multiply locations in MS and AL; Orlando, FL, and his last job was wiring the Saturn plant in TN.

My dad worked hard despite living with diabetes for most of his life. He showed me hard work and that family was important. He believed in going to church and raising your family in church. Church was always a major part of our lives, as well as serving in the church. My dad loved RA's and the youth ministry. When he was not off working, you would find him helping someone or doing something at church or church related. He love the Lord, and read or listened to his Bible faithfully. I am thankful for that.

I miss you daddy!

My dad and I at Rock City-


Dad in high school

No comments: